Fork me on GitHub

Friday, July 20, 2012

Rowling and Roald

Three days back, I walked into the bookstore to buy Puzo's Fools die. As I was searching for his novel, a book with a suggestive cover caught my eye. Naturally, I took it and looked at the title. it was Roald Dahl's My Uncle Oswald. I read the reviews and quickly realized that the book was about Henry Oswald- The expert on Chinese porcelain, astonishingly wealthy and the greatest womanizer of all time.  My friend had mentioned something about this book once and I had always wanted to read it.(I had already read Oswald's story Switch Bitch.)

                                   I started reading it in the store and after twenty minutes, a guy came up to me and told me that reading novels inside the store was not allowed. I had read just over fifteen pages and was hooked. I closed the book and put it back on the shelf and finally found Puzo's novel and headed towards billing. When I had almost reached the end of the queue, I turned back. I put the Puzo's book back on the shelf, headed over to the short stories section and took Uncle Oswald off the shelf, paid for it and went home to read.

                                 I have never laughed so much while reading! The book was absolutely hilarious!! I managed to finish it off in four hours and at the end, I could not believe the twist in the tale. This was not my first encounter with Dahl's work and I always try to anticipate the twist in the story while reading his stuff because I had read several stories of his and most of them ended with a surprising twist in the tale. Like all my previous attempts, I failed this time as well. But I was laughing so hard that my ribs hurt. 

                                 I love Roald Dahl's short stories. In my opinion, writing a short story is harder than writing a novel because you must say all you have to say in three or four pages and that's quite a task. I used to read his stories for children when I was younger (often when pretending to read my textbooks :)  I found out relatively recently that he also wrote for adults.) Wikipedia has an article outlining the general plot of My Uncle Oswald. Check it out.  I think it would be a good idea to put those "Parental Advisory: Explicit Content" labels on these books. That way, more people  will buy them. Forbidden fruit is always the tastiest.

                              Now that the Harry Potter series has finally ended, Rowling has unveiled her plans to write for adults. I am as enthusiastic and eager to devour her novel when it hits the stores as anybody. If Rowling's new "adult" book is half-as-good as Dahl's books, I'll get my money's worth. (I am convinced it definitely will be at least as good as Dahl's. But that's my private opinion.) Well, we will just have to wait and find out!